Friday, March 18, 2011

eating animals.

since this strike I have had more free time than usual.. there is a new yoga studio that opened which had a great "new student" deal on so I decided to join. I have been going there about 3 times a week as well as once a week to the hot room! the new studio is great! they have such a wide variety of classes and the main teacher/owner is fantastic! this morning I did a great rise and shine class and yesterday a power yoga class.
the other benefit to this studio is it is right downtown- and right beside the library! I have been borrowing lots of magazines lately to keep me busy and the other day I happened to stumble upon a book I have been dying to read! eating animals


so far it is amazing! I have only read a couple chapters but it takes such a different approach to the topic of vegetarianism. I can already tell that I am going to love it. he covers a lot of different areas of science while tying it into his personal experiences with animals. now I am getting into the part where he discusses the worldwide depletion of fisheries and how he relates this to war in a sense. he states: "our situation is so extreme that research scientists at the Fisheries Centre of the University of British Columbia argue that our interactions with fisheries resources have come to resemble.. wars of extermination" fact: for every ten tuna, sharks, and other large predatory fish that were in our oceans fifty to a hundred years ago, only one is left. many scientist predict the total collapse of all fished species in less than fifty years- and intense efforts are under way to catch, kill and eat even more sea animals. -- jonathon safran foer

a must read! and I was so fortunate to snatch it up at the library before someone else did :)
happy reading and yoga-ing.
--m


1 comment:

  1. if you ever see a cheap copy of this when you are out and about sissy, grab it for me and i'll pay you back! i'm horrible with library books but would love to read it :)

    ReplyDelete