Sunday, February 6, 2011

good eats.

a totally new thing for me- cauliflower fried rice. I tried the recipe today and was pleasantly surprised! I first heard about it last semester in one of my courses when we watched a video on a group of participants that tried out the atkins diet for a few months. Cauliflower fried rice was one of their staples and a popular one! I mentioned it to derek today and he was far from enthused but I decided to make it for myself anyways. And it was great!(D even had a few bites)

here is the recipe I used:
  • 1/2 head raw cauliflower, (grated to make 3 1/2 cups)
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • Olive Oil
  • Cooked Chicken, Beef, Pork, Shrimp, Ham, Turkey, etc.
    — Any mixture, your choice.

In a wok or large flat skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom. Fry minced garlic (or garlic powder) with finely diced white part of onions for approximately 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soy, ginger, diced green onion tops, and pre-cooked cubed meat or baby shrimp. Stir to mix well and brown a bit. Push mixture to one side of pan. Add more oil if necessary and scramble eggs in empty side of pan until done but still moist. Stir eggs into "rice" mix and remove from heat.

*I didn't add any meat- just kept it simple. there are so many different recipes available for this dish. I will definitely try to add some extra delicious-ness next time!

[recipe from low carb luxury website]

enjoy-I highly recommend trying this!

on another note: our fabulous friends brought some scrumptious treats to our place on saturday night. we had a great time grazing on snacks and catching up. treats included: lemon cream cheese cupcakes, cheddar wafers, triple layer mint s'mores brownies and a chocolate fondue with fruit :) so wonderful

hope everyone has a great week!
--m


2 comments:

  1. there's that gorgeous pink spatula again...key to my heart! glad you guys had fun on saturday!

    ps: making the enchiladas on wednesday mmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so sweet! Yum! enjoy- we will see you wednesday :) can't wait.

    ReplyDelete